What does an MOT Tester do?
A nominated MOT tester is someone who is qualified to carry out MOT tests.
Responsibilities might include:
- Customer service in relation to MOTs
- Applying your experience as a skilled mechanic to the role
What qualifications do you need to become an MOT Tester?
It’s useful to have GCSEs in Maths, English, Science subjects and/or Technologies subjects.
You should also have:
- A current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes you want to test
- Be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years’ full-time employment servicing and repairing the types of vehicle you’re going to test
- Have no unspent criminal convictions for criminal offences connected with MOT testing or the motor trade
- Be of ‘good repute’ – the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will decide this to make sure you are a suitable MOT tester
To become a class 3 or 5 MOT Tester, you must already have:
- A level 2 testing certificate in class 4 and 7 vehicles
- Passed an MOT demonstration test after getting your level 2
What skills do you need to be an MOT Tester?
Some of the skills you would be expected to have include:
- At least 4 years’ experience as a mechanic
- Attention to detail
How much does an MOT Tester earn?
The average salary for a Vehicle Technician in 2018 was £27,000 (yearly).
Starting salaries may vary.
Not quite ready to apply for MOT Tester jobs? Why not download our CV template to get you started?
Congratulations, you’ve got the job! But now you have it, you might also be experiencing a lot of emotions before your first day, like anxiety, fear, stress, determination or motivation. It’s perfectly okay to feel all of these things, but remember that although nerve...
Mechanics inspect, fix and maintain vehicles. They will regularly carry out diagnostics, repairs and services on vehicles, following procedures and ensuring the highest possible standards are maintained. Before we hone in on the desired skills a mechanic should have,...
What are the most valuable skills for a car sales CV? As a car salesperson, your CV offers a great chance to showcase your high sales figures, impressive results and the achievements you have brought to your previous employers. While lots of facts and figures are a...